McGill Park & McGill Park Nature Area
Community Park - Native Woods Theme
McGill Park was established in 1950, the park was named after Andrew R. McGill (1840-1905). This park is on the North side of the city and runs along an old right-of-way of the Chicago and Northwestern Railway. There is a path along Church Street that lies on the original track bed. Andrew R. McGill was a teacher and principal in the school district. In 1862 he enlisted in the Ninth Minnesota Volunteers and saw action in the south. He returned to Saint Peter and became a Superintendent of schools in Nicollet County. He also edited the local newspaper, became a lawyer and ultimately governor (1887-1888).
For more information about Andrew R. McGill: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Ryan_McGill