Levee Park

Location:

101 South Front Street

Acres:

1.3 Acres
Features: 
Camper Dumping Station
Drinking Fountain(s)
Grill(s)
Horseshoe Courts
Picnic Table(s)
Playground

Community Park - Historical Theme, Chamber of Commerce Office and Tourist Information Center, Historic "camel-backed" bridge across Minnesota River

History

The city levee (boat landing) at the foot of Broadway Avenue was in the original city plat of 1854. The levee was a roughly 850-foot long section of the river bank where steamboats docked, and where a ferry across the river was located. The rock beneath the west side of the current Broadway bridge was the inspiration for the original name of Saint Peter, “Rock Bend”. The current Levee Park is on the southern half of the original levee, and, while only about 1.4 acres in size, is home to the Chamber of Commerce building, the Pearly Gates, playground equipment, picnic tables and grills.

Using steamboats on the Minnesota River was found to be feasible in about 1850, and there were as many as 400 trips per year until railroads came to the city in the early 1870's. The early growth of the city and county depended on steamboats to bring most goods to and from markets. In 1870 a large iron swing bridge was built at the site of the current bridge, and the ferry was no longer needed. This was replaced with a similar bridge in 1887, and in 1931 this swing bridge was replaced by the current bridge, which is being renovated and upgraded in 2017. The last steamboat to dock at Saint Peter was the Henrietta, in May 1897.