Gorman Park

Location:

501 South Washington Ave.

Acres:

4.8 Acres
Features: 
Benches
Drinking Fountain(s)
Gazebo
Grill(s)
Picnic Table(s)
Playground
Restroom Stalls Ladies/Mens
Softball Field Non-Regulation

Neighborhood Park - Historic 1890s Theme

Large wooden community built playstructure - TREEmendous Playground

N44.32407 W093.96297

If you are interested in reserving the shelter click on the link:
Facilty Availability

History:

This park near the center of the city was named in honor of Willis A. Gorman (1816-1876), second Minnesota Territorial Governor (1853-1857) who was a landowner in St. Peter. Gorman was a veteran of the Mexican-American War, and served in the US House of Representatives representing Indiana before being appointed Territorial Governor of Minnesota by Pres. Franklin Pierce. As Governor, he devised a plan to move the state capital from St. Paul to St. Peter, but the papers he was to sign were stolen by Legislator Joe Rolette, who kept them in a hotel room in St. Paul until the Legislature adjourned. St. Paul remained the capital and Gorman's land holdings in St. Peter became much less valuable.  Gorman served as Brigadier General in the First Minnesota Volunteers in the Civil War.  He returned to St. Paul and practiced law until his death in1876.

The 4.8 acres of Gorman Park are home to St. Peter's Community Center and Library. For many years in the 1800s cattle grazed in the park. In the early 1900s the park was cleaned up, a small pavillion was built in the center, and it became a popular picnic spot. Between 1913 and 1931 there were Chautauqua programs (entertainment and educational lectures) in large tents in the park

For more history on Gorman's life can be found at: http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=G000330